Today I have the pleasure of welcoming Birmingham-based food blogger Charlotte who’s sharing her recipe for CHOCOLATE CHAI-SPICED WAFFLES. Also known as @charlotteemmma on Instagram, she takes a particular interest in how the foods we eat can affect our mental and physical wellbeing. Studying psychology at both undergraduate and master’s level has helped Charlotte explore the complex interactions between food and health at both biological and social levels. Charlotte aims to show that healthy, plant-based eating can be easy, accessible and delicious and creates recipes which help promote this message. Over to Charlotte…
Waffles are my absolute favourite weekend breakfast. There is nothing better than getting up a bit later than normal, putting on a pot of coffee and hearing the waffle iron sizzling away in the corner of the kitchen! I’ve recently started experimenting with gluten free baking and I’ve found gluten free flour to be quite a challenge to work with, but these waffles made with gluten free self-raising flour (Doves Farm) worked a treat. Better still, the chocolate and chai spices work really well with my favourite breakfast topping of all – chocolate peanut butter!
CHOCOLATE CHAI-SPICED WAFFLES RECIPE (VEGAN, GF)
- 1 and ¼ cups gluten free self-raising flour
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp carob syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Pinch salt
- Preheat your waffle iron and prepare according to model instructions – you may need to grease it with a small amount of vegan butter or coconut oil if your waffles tend to stick.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Stir in water and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- When your waffle iron is up to temperature, spoon 2 tbsp of mixture into each waffle mould and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the waffle iron and repeat until you have used all the mixture – mine made 8 small waffles.
- Stack the waffles on a small plate and top with anything you fancy! I used chocolate peanut butter, stewed raspberries, banana stars and gluten free granola. Try making your own toppings such as this Almond Butter Coconut Granola, this Nutty Cinnamon Granola, and a spoonful of homemade Raspberry Chia Jam.
For more breakfast inspo, check out the recipes below:
- Salted Almond Butter and Coconut Granola
- Chocolate Chip Quinoa Granola
- Cinnamon Chia Oatmeal
- Matcha Overnight Oats
- Creamy Coconut Porridge with Berry Compote
- Nutella Porridge
- Quinoa Porridge
- Turmeric and Goji Porridge
- Pecan Pie Granola
- Nutty Cinnamon Granola
- Banana Nut Crunch Granola
- Superfood Goji Granola
- Smashed Avocado Toast
- Vegan Strawberries & Cream Smoothie
- Vanilla Mocha Milkshake
- Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Zesty Passion Fruit Smoothie Jar
- Chocolate Hazelnut Pancake Stack
- Popcorn Chocolate Almond Butter Pancakes
- Vegan Coconut Banana Pancakes
- Basic Healthy Pancakes
- 2-minute Pecan Milk