My healthier spin on a classic Victoria Sponge Cake features two layers of light fluffy vanilla sponge and a thick spreading of sweet raspberry jam in the middle. It is decorated with a handful of dried coconut flakes and fresh strawberries, and best enjoyed alongside a cup of afternoon tea!
The spongey base provides the perfect blank canvas for all sorts of variations – I often make it into mini muffins, chocolate cupcakes or Cake Pops (recipe coming soon!)
The recipe is completely gluten-free and dairy-free, as well as being free from refined sugar apart from the jam – but you could use my homemade Raspberry Chia Jam for a totally refined sugar-free version!
Vanilla Sponge Cake
This recipe was created in collaboration with The Carved Angel using their jam.
- 2/3 cup (150g) dairy-free butter (I use sunflower spread)
- 2/3 cup (150g) sugar (I use coconut sugar but any sugar will do)
- 3 eggs
- 110g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Blush Raspberry Jam (or use my homemade Raspberry Chia Jam for sugar-free option)
- 200g fresh strawberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and line 2 20cm round cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the caster sugar and butter until light and fluffy, for about 5 minutes. It is best to do this using a food mixer with a beater attachment or use a hand held electric mixer.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, turn down the mixer to very low, then slowly pour this into the food mixer along with vanilla and cider vinegar, and continue mixing for one minute.
- Slowly fold in (on the slowest speed) the flour, ground almonds and baking powder until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins, smooth the top with a spatula and bake for about 20 minutes, until a fork comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for at least 15 minutes before turning out, then leave to cool completely.
- Spread the the jam over one layer, then slice half of the strawberries on top of the jam. Place the other layer of cake on top and decorate with remaining strawberries and optional coconut flakes.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @cerealandpeanutbutter – I LOVE seeing all your creations!
Check out my other cake recipes below:
- Flourless Triple Chocolate Popcorn Cake with Sticky Toffee Frosting
- The Ultimate Banana Bread
- Banana Bread Pecan Muffins
- 2-Minute Chocolate Protein Mug Cake (Grain-free, Paleo)