If like me, you’re struggling to adjust to the change in the clocks, I’ve got the perfect breakfast to drag you out of bed when it’s still dark! This porridge is basically a hug in a bowl: an energy-boosting and nutrient-dense recipe that will fill you up until lunchtime, with the most gorgeous golden colour thanks to the turmeric – just try not to spill it on that white shirt…
If you didn’t already know, I have a slight obsession with this spice. It’s warming, delicious and works wonderfully in so much more than curries! I’ve talked before about the healing properties of turmeric in my blog post 7 Mind-Blowing Facts About Turmeric and have used it in countless recipes, such as my Golden Tonic and my Indian Lentil Dahl.
Let’s talk nutrition: This recipe is packed with antioxidants, thanks to the turmeric and the goji berries (from Indigo Herbs), as well as gut-friendly pre-biotics from the banana. Wholegrain oats are an energising carbohydrate with more soluble fibre than any other grain (which helps to lower cholesterol in the body), plus they’re packed with nourishing B-vitamins. And did I mention turmeric is the QUEEN of spices with its incredible anti-inflammatory properties?
In case you were wondering why I’ve thrown black pepper into the mix, here’s a fun fact for you: Did you know that consuming turmeric alongside bioperine (the active ingredient in black pepper) increases its bioavailability (absorption in the body) by up to 2000% ?!
I love topping this with any fresh fruit I have in fridge and a dollop of almond butter, or some homemade Raspberry Chia Jam and a sprinkle of iron-rich pumpkin seeds for added crunch!
Turmeric & Goji Porridge
- 1/2 cup (50g) rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (180ml) boiled water
- 1/2 cup (120ml) cashew milk (or almond milk)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon Goji Berries (I use Indigo Herbs) + 1 more tablespoon for topping
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 stick of cinnamon (can replace with 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Extra topping suggestions: 1 teaspoon almond butter, 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds, sprinkle of mixed seeds.
- Add the oats to a saucepan and cover with the boiling water. Leave to soak for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut 1/3 of the banana and set aside for topping. Using a fork, mash the remaining 2/3 banana in a small bowl.
- Add the mashed banana and all the other ingredients to the saucepan.
- Cook on a medium heat until just starting to bubble, stirring often, then reduce to a simmer for 3-5 minutes (or until desired consistency is reached). Stir in a little extra milk if desired.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and transfer to a bowl. Top with the remaining banana (sliced), extra goji berries, and any other fruit, seeds and your favourite nut butter.
If you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @cerealandpeanutbutter as I LOVE seeing your creations!