STUFFED SWEET POTATOES WITH CHICKPEAS
This sweet potato recipe is always a crowd pleaser. It’s delicious as a plant-based main course or side dish, for lunch or dinner, and tastes great as leftovers too! From a nutritional standpoint, the chickpeas are packed with protein, healthy fats and fibre while the sweet potato contains complex carbs and beta-carotene (the pre-cursor to vitamin A).
Stuffed Sweet Potato with Chickpeas
(Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tin (400g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C.
- Use a fork to pierce the skin of the sweet potatoes a few times. Place in the microwave (600W) for 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a baking tray and place in the oven for 30 minutes. (You can skip the microwave and bake in the oven for 45 mins).
- Remove from the oven and slice in half. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh into a mixing bowl (set aside the skins for later).
- Use a fork to mash the sweet potato, then add the tahini, olive oil, chickpeas (set aside some for topping), salt and chilli flakes. Mix well, then scoop the mixture back into the sweet potato skins and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with chickpeas and fresh parsley before serving.
If you give this recipe a try, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @elibrechernutrition – I LOVE seeing all your recreations!
For more lunch & dinner ideas, try these recipes:
- Courgette Salom Frittata
- Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
- Teriyaki-Glazed Salmon
- Peanut Tofu Stir-Fry
- Edamame Mushroom Burgers
- Carrot Chickpea Patties
- Original Chickpea Patties
- Vegan Nut Roast
- Baba Ganoush (smoky Aubergine Dip)
- Homemade Hummus