If you’re looking to hit your five-a-day, sneak in loads of vitamins and antioxidants, and kickstart your morning with a mega dose of nutrition, all before 9am – smoothies are your one-stop-shop. It is so easy to incorporate them into your daily routine, and there is no need to follow a long and complicated recipe. In fact, you don’t even need any recipe at all! What you do need, however, is to understand the key stages that go into making the best smoothie ever – every single time.
Today I am sharing the basic 5-step formula to achieve the perfect smoothie – once you master this formula, that’s when you can start having fun combining different flavours to create a unique masterpiece just the way you like it!
For more smoothie inspiration, be sure to check out my posts:
- Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie
- Strawberries & Cream Smoothie
- Vanilla Mocha Milkshake
- Açaí Bowl
- Top 3 Green Smoothie Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Zesty Passion Fruit Smoothie Jar
1) The Base
Bananas are your secret weapon – they sweeten the taste and thicken the texture at the same time, helping to bind the other ingredients together. Choose very ripe bananas with brown spots – these blend smoother, taste sweeter and are easier to digest. For a lower sugar alternative, opt for avocado for a creamier consistency, or go tropical with mango or papaya.
TIP: Wait for your bananas to get really ripe (we’re talking black spots), then peel and chop them into an airtight container and FREEZE for a thicker, more “ice-cream” base.
2) Protein + Fat (the good kind!)
I always incorporate some source of protein and healthy fat into my smoothies. The combination of these two macronutrients will leave you feeling satiated and keep your blood sugar stable for hours. Try adding a tablespoon of tahini (sesame seed paste), almond butter or natural peanut butter (like in my Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake), or throw in a handful of cashews for maximum creaminess. Alternatively, add a scoop of high quality protein powder – I love Miss Fits Nutrition coffee and vanilla flavours – use my discount code “Eli5” for £5 off at checkout.
3) Fruit + Veg
A combination of fresh or frozen fruit will do wonders for the taste, and drastically boost the health content too- like in this Zesty Passion Fruit Smoothie Jar! Half a cup of mixed berries add a major dose of antioxidants and won’t spike your blood sugar. Try to balance out the fruit with some veggies too to lower the sugar content and add even more nutrients. A handful of spinach or kale is an easy way to get your greens in (see my Top 3 Green Smoothies here), or for something a little less obviously green, try adding cucumber, which has a much milder taste but is still rich in fibre and vitamins.
Swap water in favour of almond milk or try my homemade PECAN MILK. You could also try coconut water for a refreshing twist. It goes without saying that the more liquid you have, the thinner your smoothie will be, so if you’d prefer a more ice-cream/mousse-like consistency that you can eat out of a bowl with a spoon topped with some Nutty Cinnamon Granola, then go easy on the liquid.
5) Get creative
My favourite part! Don’t be afraid play around with your flavours.
- Health boosters: açai and goji berries (both high in antioxidants), maca and raw cacao (both energising and rich in minerals), or chia and flaxseeds (both packed with essential Omega-3 fats and fibre).
- Sweeten it: go natural with a couple of juicy medjool dates (pitted and chopped) or a very ripe spotty banana.
- Spice it up: I’m pretty obsessed with turmeric, and love to add a dash of ground cinnamon or nutmeg. Give it a kick with some fresh ginger or a small pinch of cardamom.
- Thicken the texture: 2 tablespoons of oats, hemp seeds (great source of protein), 1/4 avocado or a scoop of protein powder (£5 off MissFits Nutrition with code Eli5 ).
- Enhance the flavour: lemon/lime juice and zest, raw cacao, vanilla extract, a couple of drops of peppermint extract like in my Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie, the possibilities are endless…
- Go crazy with TOPPINGS: cover your smoothie bowl with fresh berries, superfoods, a drizzle of almond butter, a dollop of my Raspberry Chia Jam, all kinds of seeds, this Nutty Cinnamon Granola or this Banana Nut Crunch Granola.
What’s your favourite smoothie combination? Let me know what you think of my ultimate smoothie formula by tagging me on Instagram @brechernutrition .
Don’t forget to check out my smoothie recipes here: