Crunchy and gooey, chocolatey and chewy, my Rocky Roads are full of all kinds of surprises!
The base is made from smooth almond butter melted together with high quality dark chocolate, and these treats get their sweetness from your dried fruit of choice – juicy baked raspberries and a handful of sultanas. Plus a few mini marshmallows, because would Rocky Roads be complete without them? I didn’t think so either!
You’d never believe these Rocky Roads are vegan, gluten-free and surprisingly low in sugar! They’re also packed with protein and fibre thanks to the nuts – I used chopped Brazil nuts and flaked almonds this time, but you can use your favourites or whatever you have on hand.
When it comes to the fillings, the more the better in my opinion! I always use mini marshmallows, at least two types of nuts, dried fruit such as dates/raisins and anything else I have lying around. Get creative! Here are a few ideas to get you started…
- Mini marshmallows – I found vegan ones in my local supermarket
- Dried fruit – raisins, sultanas, cranberries or chopped dates
- Nuts – try hazelnuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios, pecans, walnuts
- Biscuits – try Oreo cookies, Digestives, or oat cakes for a lighter twist
- Popcorn – salty or sweet, for extra crunch
- Granola – I always have some lying around!
- Honeycomb – for a little extra sweetness
If you like my Rocky Roads, I think you’ll LOVE my Trillionaire Shortbread,Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookie Pie and Vegan Fudgey Oreo Brownies! Let me know if you make them on Instagram @brechernutrition
Vegan Rocky Roads Recipe
- 1 and 1/2 cups (200g) dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1 and 1/2 cups mixed nuts, chopped (I used Brazil nuts and flaked almonds)
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut (optional)
- 1 cup chopped dried fruit (I used sultanas and dried raspberries)
- 1 cup (75g) vegan mini marshmallows
- Break the chocolate into chunks in a saucepan and melt over a low heat. Stir in the almond butter until fully combined, then pour this into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the nuts, dried fruit and desiccated coconut (if using) to the bowl and stir together until everything is coated in chocolate.
- Line a brownie tin with greaseproof paper and spoon the mixture into the tin.
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour until completely set and crunchy, then store in the fridge.
If you give this recipe a try, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @brechernutrition – I LOVE seeing all your recreations!