Let me start by saying that I’m currently based in Paris for 6 months and am having the time of my life. I live in an adorable (read: tiny) flat and I absolutely love it. HOWEVER, my only complaints are:
a) I don’t have an oven.
b) I don’t have a food processor.
Whilst I enjoy going over to my friends’ apartment to bake desserts using her oven whenever I get the opportunity, sometimes I get the urge to create a delicious sweet treat right then and there, without schlepping the ingredients half-way across Paris and carrying the finished product home in tupperware. So I’ve had to experiment with recipes which require no equipment but my own hands (and perhaps a bowl and a fork for mixing).
My most recent kitchen creation: these Raw Brownies with a Salted Caramel Frosting. They are unbelievably tasty, so beware – you won’t be able to stop at just one! The best part is that they’re genuinely healthy, rich in protein, fibre, minerals and antioxidants from the cacao, PLUS they’re free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar, and suitable for vegans. The scrumptious frosting is so simple to whip together and is, quite literally, the icing on the cake!
Raw Protein Brownies with Salted Caramel Frosting
For the Base:
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (use code FSEli for £5 off Free Soul protein)
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 3/4 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon almond butter
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 tablespoons date syrup
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate (or my 3-Ingredient Homemade Chocolate), broken into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon hazelnuts, roughly chopped
For the Salted Caramel Frosting:
- 2 heaped tablespoons cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Add all Base ingredients to a bowl and mix very well, using a fork or even your hands.
2. Press into the base of a lined cake tin.
3. Add all Salted Caramel Frosting to a bowl and mix very well with a fork.
4. Spread the topping over the base and place in the freezer to set for a minimum of 2 hours, or the fridge for longer.