I know I’ve posted lots of chocolatey recipes recently, like this Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread, this Trillionaire Shortbread with Date-Tahini Caramel and theseVegan Fudgey Oreo Brownies. But these Protein Mocha Muffins were too good not to share with you ASAP!
At first sight, you’d think these Mocha Muffins are an unhealthy sugar-loaded dessert, but in reality, they are jam-packed with protein, healthy fats, fibre and nourishing ingredients, whilst not compromising on the taste! The soft gooey centre and fluffy crumb top are speckled with melting chocolate chips. These are dairy-free, gluten-free and can easily be made vegan by switching the egg to a flax egg.
They are based on the original recipe to my Paleo 2-Minute Chocolate Protein Mug Cake, but this recent twist takes this to a whole new level with an EVEN better consistency and a mocha spin.
I’ve always been a fan of coffee-flavoured desserts, from tiramisu to coffee ice-cream! So the ground coffee granules, together with delicious cacao powder, combine two of my favourite ingredients to give the mocha undertones to these delicious muffins.
Protein Mocha Muffins Recipe
- 1 egg (or flax egg if vegan)
- ¼ cup dairy-free yoghurt (I used almond yoghurt)
- 1 teaspoon almond butter (or any other nut butter)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 sachet vanilla protein powder (I use MissFits Nutrition – use code ‘Eli5‘ for £5 off)
- 2 teaspoons coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 heaped tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 C and grease two oven-proof ramekins with a little coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix all wet ingredients – egg, yoghurt, maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla extract.
- To a separate bowl, add all remaining ingredients, except chocolate chips.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until fully combined, then stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour batter into the ramekins, sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips and bake for 10-12 minutes. Alternatively, pour the batter into a mug and microwave for 90 seconds on a medium-high heat.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @cerealandpeanutbutter – I LOVE seeing all your creations!