For the porridge base, I highly recommend my go-to vanilla porridge recipe below. It’s got the perfect ratio of almond milk to water. It’s super creamy and sweet thanks to the mashed banana, and extra satisfying thanks to the flax seeds and almond butter. I love stirring in a scoop or even half a scoop of protein powder – I love MyVegan vanilla vegan blend (get 35% off with the code ELIBRECHER at check-out!)
When it comes to toppings, the more the merrier! I love a combination of fresh fruit with something crunchy like seeds or granola, and a generous drizzle of nut butter!
For The Creamy Vanilla Porridge
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe mashed banana
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tsp flax seeds
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 scoop vanilla protein (use code ELIBRECHER for 35% off MyVegan)
And now for the toppings…
- Fruit: Stewed berries, sliced banana, apple compote or a chopped nectarine are some of my favourites
- Dried fruit: Raisins, dried cherries, goji berries, dried cranberries
- For the crunch: Almonds, walnuts, pecans, Eli’s Granola, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, chia seeds
- Nut butters/spreads: Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, tahini, Raspberry Chia Jam, Sticky Toffee Date Spread
- Add oats, water, almond milk and vanilla to a saucepan and bring to boil over high heat.
- Lower heat to simmer and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in mashed banana, cinnamon, flaxseeds, almond butter and protein powder. Mix well and add a splash of almond milk if needed. Let it simmer for another minute before serving.
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @elibrechernutrition if you give this a try – I would love to see!