Overnight oats are one of my favourite breakfasts ever because they are SO incredibly easy to make! You can whip up a big batch on a Sunday evening and have the whole week’s breakfasts prepped and ready to go within minutes.
I love waking up knowing my breakfast is already waiting for me to whisk it off the fridge shelf and take it on-the-go with me. It’s a massive time-saver, and makes for a smooth and productive morning without having to think about making breakfast!
Overnight oats are also great if you want to squeeze in an early morning workout without worrying about if you’ll have time to pick some food up on the way to work, as these will be packed in your bag ready to be eaten as soon as you sit down at your desk.
I’ve been playing around with flavour combinations for as long as I can remember, testing out different milks or stirring in raw cacao, but in general, I stick with the same BASIC FORMULA: oats, chia seeds, nut milk, and a scoop of protein powder – my favourite is MyVegan chocolate vegan blend (get 35% off with the code ELI at check-out!)
Here are some simple ideas to help get your creative juices flowing:
- Nut butter: stir in a spoonful of peanut butter or dollop on some almond butter as a topping.
- Fruit: experiment with mashed banana, grated apple, chopped pear, blueberries, sliced peach, the options are endless! All of these add natural sweetness and while boosting the nutrient content.
- Spices: spice up your oats with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or even add a drop of vanilla extract.
- Chocolate: try stirring in some raw cacao powder for a rich chocolate flavour, plus a hit of antioxidants.
- Coffee: replace your morning cappuccino with coffee-infused overnight oats by stirring in a spoon of ground coffee or even an espresso shot!
And for some more exciting flavour ideas to jazz up your oats…
Raspberry Ripple: 1 tablespoon Raspberry Chia Jam + handful fresh raspberries + 1 drop vanilla extract
Choca Mocha: 1 teaspoon ground coffee + 1 teaspoon cacao powder
Sticky Toffee: 1 heaped tablespoon Sticky Toffee Spread + 2 chopped medjool dates + pinch of sea salt
Overnight Oats Recipe
Makes 1 portion (I suggest making at least 2-3 portions to save time throughout the week!)
Then add your extras – choose 2-3 from below:
- Nuts – almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews, pistachios etc all work!
- Seeds – pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, flax etc!
- Peanut butter
- Almond butter
- Cacao powder
- Cacao nibs
- Coconut yoghurt
- Vanilla extract
- Ground coffee
- Berry compote/jam
Mix all ingredients together in a jar and leave to sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or ideally overnight. In the morning, just grab-and-go!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @elibrechernutrition if you give this a try – I would love to see!
This post contains affiliate links.