I don’t know about you, but milkshakes were one of my favourite treats growing up! I used to thrive off that sweet sugar rush and dream of slurping every drop of a refreshingly icy vanilla milkshake. Needless to say I was a little worried how I’d get my milkshake fix after cutting out dairy for my health and slashing my intake of refined sugar…
However, I spent a while playing around with natural alternatives and discovered that frozen bananas provide the perfect base for “milkshakes” as they are naturally sweet and creamy, while coconut flour is a fantastic thickener which boasts health benefits such as being high in fibre and essential heart-healthy fats. A spoonful or two of nut butter helps bind everything together, and a scoop of protein powder makes it extra filling and helps to curb your sugar cravings.
The “mocha” element comes from a combination of coffee with chocolate – or raw cacao powder to be specific – which is full of minerals like magnesium and a natural stimulant, making it the perfect way to start your day on an energising note!
The BEST part of this has to be the chocolate sauce, which is a variation of my 3-ingredient raw chocolate recipe. If you like it runnier, feel free to add a small dash of almond milk. It is unbelievably satisfying and spoonably-thick (if spoonable isn’t a word it should be!)
My favourite protein to use in this is Free Soul’s protein blend (get £5 off with the code FSEli at check-out!)
Make sure you check out my other smoothie recipes (all are vegan), like this Strawberries and Cream Smoothie, these Top 3 Green Smoothies, this Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie and this Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake.
Vanilla Mocha Milkshake Recipe
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Indigo Herbs using their ingredients.
Makes 1 large or 2 small servings
FOR THE SHAKE
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coffee
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (use code FSEli for £5 off Free Soul protein)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: 1 teaspoon maple syrup, cacao nibs (for garnish)
FOR THE CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon nut butter of choice
- Simply blend all ingredients for the shake together until completely smooth and pour into a glass.
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and whisk until fully combined and no lumps remain.
- Pour sauce over the smoothie, garnish with cacao nibs, and serve immediately.
I’d love to know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment and rate it, and be sure to take a picture and tag me @elibrechernutrition on Instagram!
For more (vegan) smoothie recipes, check these out: