Gut Health: Why is it important?
Did you know that gut health goes far beyond the digestive system?
The gut is known as the “second brain” and it’s closely linked with mental health, due to its influence on mood and well-being.
- 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut, and this “happy hormone” is essential for maintaining mood balance.
- 70% of the immune system is located in the gut, so it also has very strong links with autoimmune conditions.
- It’s also associated with anxiety, depression, diabetes, skin conditions, obesity and heart disease.
So supporting the gut microbiome is ESSENTIAL for looking after the rest of your body!
Here are my 6 top tips for looking after your gut health:
1️⃣ EAT MORE FIBRE – aim for 30g fibre per day
2️⃣ EAT A VARIETY OF FRUIT & VEG – the more diversity the better!
3️⃣ AVOID PROCESSED FOODS – easier said than done but just make a start
4️⃣ FERMENTED FOODS ARE YOUR FRIEND – they contain good bacteria a.k.a. probiotics
5️⃣ REGULAR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY – helps keep things moving
6️⃣ NO DISTRACTIONS AT MEALTIMES – this is important for optimal digestion
Did you find this post useful? If so please share it with others! For more nutrition tips and healthy recipes, check out my Instagram @elibrechernutrition
Check out my other nutrition-related blog posts below:
- Prebiotics vs. Probiotics
- Plant-Based Protein
- Nuts About Nuts
- Benefits of Matcha + 3 ways to have it