Would you believe me if I told you these vanilla cupcakes are gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free AND vegan? Not to mention the buttercream frosting is made from only 2 ingredients and packed with protein!
They taste like the most delicious classic vanilla cupcakes – light and fluffy and loaded topped with a sweet creamy frosting that will make you want to lick the spoon.
Did I mention they’re infused with rainbow sprinkles inside the cupcakes as well as on top – because you can never have too many sprinkles right?
The best bit is they only require one bowl and no fancy equipment, so anyone can make these at home.
The secret to my 2-ingredient high protein buttercream frosting is using a really high quality naturally sweet protein powder that you slowly mix into the vegan butter, little by little. My favourite protein to use in this is the MyVegan vanilla vegan protein – you can get 35% off with the code ELIBRECHER at check-out!
Don’t worry if you don’t have any protein powder for the frosting – the next best thing is icing sugar. It’s equally delicious although not quite the same nutritional content!
Let me know if you make these on Instagram @elibrechernutrition – I would love to see your creations!
VANILLA CUPCAKES WITH VEGAN BUTTERCREAM RECIPE
(GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, VEGAN)
Makes 12 mini cupcakes, scale up as you wish
- ½ cup nut milk (almond milk works well)
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup rapeseed oil
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated sweetener
- ¾ cups white flour (can use gluten-free)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Small pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles (plus more for topping)
- Optional: dark chocolate chips
- Add milk and vinegar to a large mixing bowl and allow to curdle for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a muffin holder with paper cupcake cases and pre-heat oven to 175 C.
- Add oil and vanilla to the bowl and beat vigorously to combine.
- Add sweetener and whisk until fully combined.
- Slowly sift in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, stirring gently as you go.
- Sift in the wet ingredients and whisk together by hand until fully combined.
- Gently fold in the sprinkles and chocolate chips (if using). Transfer the batter evenly into the cupcake holders, filling each one until it is about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting (optional). Add softened (vegan) butter to a bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Slowly sift in the protein powder, mixing as you go along. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and keep mixing until a smooth but thick mixture has formed.
- Once the cupcakes have fully cooled, spoon the frosting on top and use the back of the spoon to smooth it out. Add the sprinkle on top and more chocolate chips if you wish! Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
If you give this recipe a try, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @elibrechernutrition – I LOVE seeing all your recreations!
For more dessert recipes, check these recipes out:
- Apple & Blueberry Crumble
- Peach & Nectarine Crumble
- Rocky Roads (vegan)
- Ultimate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread
- Chocolate Sticky Toffee Cups
- Trillionaire Shortbread with Date-Tahini Caramel
- Easy Vegan Biscuits
- Chocolate Cake Pops
- Flourless Triple Chocolate Cake with Sticky Toffee Frosting
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Jelly Cups
- Chocolate Chip Quinoa Granola
- Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 2-Minute Chocolate Protein Mug Cake
- Chocolate-dipped Sweet Potato Chips
- Secret Ingredient Chocolate Mousse
- 3-Ingredients Nutella Truffles
- 3-Ingredient Raw Chocolate Bark
- Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookie Pie
- Vegan Fudgey Oreo Brownies
- Chocolate Gingerbread Men
- Protein Mocha Muffins
- Cacao, Coconut & Quinoa Clusters
- Banana Bread Pecan Muffins
- Chocolate Caramel Mars Bars