I don’t know about you, but my idea of comfort food involves a traditional base of baked apple, a layer of warm berry filling and a crispy crumble topping. This apple crumble is bursting with flavour – the combination of the sweet crumble topping and the tart apple base are a match made in heaven.
While I’m a total chocoholic in an endless love affair with cacao-based desserts, sometimes I feel like something a little lighter and my fruity desserts always seem to go down well, from this Peach & Nectarine Crumble to my Ultimate Banana Bread.
This Apple & Blueberry Crumble was inspired by and adapted from my mum’s famous recipe, which has been a big staple in our family for as long as I can remember… It makes an extra decadent dessert when served hot out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream – it will melt in your mouth!
This crumble is equally delicious as leftovers for breakfast the next day, and personally I think it tastes divine with a dollop of coconut yoghurt or a little splash of almond milk – almost as if it were granola!
Alternatively, you could make it in advance and freeze it in pre-portioned amounts so you can defrost a little treat whenever you feel like it.
A note on the ratio: Feel free to adapt the recipe, doubling or halving the proportions based on how much you want to make, but remember one thing: my mum always taught me that the ratio in weight of 6:3:2 for the flour/oats to fat (butter) to sugar, meaning there should be double oats and flour should weigh twice the amount of the butter, and three times the amount of sugar.
Apple & Blueberry Crumble Recipe (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- 500g rolled oats (I usually replace one third of this with gluten-free flour)
- 5 large Bramley apples, peeled and chopped into bite-sized cubes
- 400g frozen berries (you could leave these out but I think they make it extra special!)
- 170g sugar (can replace all of sub half with coconut sugar)
- 250g (dairy-free) butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Pinch of ginger (optional)
- Place the apples into large boiling pan. Pour over water, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and maple syrup. Stir well and cook on a high heat for one minute. Then put the lid on the pan and turn the heat down to low for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Place apples on the bottom of the oven-proof dish, then pour oven berries and gently pat down with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 C.
- Use your hands to knead together the oats, flour (if using), sugar and butter until fully combined, then spread this mixture over the fruit. Use your finger to create a small thumb-sized well in the middle of the crumble so the fruit is exposed (helps to cook thoroughly).
- Place in the oven for 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
If you give this recipe a try, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @elibrechernutrition – I LOVE seeing all your recreations!
For more dessert recipes, check these recipes out:
- Peach & Nectarine Crumble
- Rocky Roads (vegan)
- Ultimate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread
- Chocolate Sticky Toffee Cups
- Trillionaire Shortbread with Date-Tahini Caramel
- Easy Vegan Biscuits
- Chocolate Cake Pops
- Flourless Triple Chocolate Cake with Sticky Toffee Frosting
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Jelly Cups
- Chocolate Chip Quinoa Granola
- Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 2-Minute Chocolate Protein Mug Cake
- Chocolate-dipped Sweet Potato Chips
- Secret Ingredient Chocolate Mousse
- 3-Ingredients Nutella Truffles
- 3-Ingredient Raw Chocolate Bark
- Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookie Pie
- Vegan Fudgey Oreo Brownies
- Chocolate Gingerbread Men
- Protein Mocha Muffins
- Cacao, Coconut & Quinoa Clusters
- Banana Bread Pecan Muffins
- Chocolate Caramel Mars Bars