I’m so excited to have vegan food blogger Romy from RomyLondonUK sharing her recipe for apple & cinnamon crepes on my blog today! I’ve tested these out for myself and they went down a treat, plus they’re gluten-free and 100% vegan. Over to Romy…
My name is Romy and I am honoured to share one of my favourite vegan breakfast recipes with you! Since starting my blog in 2015, I have been working to prove that going vegan doesn’t mean you’re missing out on anything. I decided to live the plant-based life in 2014 and I have since been showing that balance is key and that everything is possible on a vegan diet!
One of my favourite recipes to create are definitely divine breakfasts. I love a long Sunday brunch with friends and family – and as an early bird I love getting into the kitchen in the AM to create something super tasty. I believe it’s the best way to start the day, and it’s also themotivation I need to get out of bed.
Crepes and pancakes have always ranked high on my all-time-favourite-breakfasts list. In fact it was the standard breakfast my bestie and I would have every day on holiday when we were teens & didn’t have our parents around to tell us that pancakes should not be had every day (because it’s the kind of thing parents would say, right?)
However, my real dilemma is deciding whether I enjoy pancakes or crepes more – because that’s truly the kind of question I would not know how to answer, and let’s hope that I will never have to make such a decision!
As apple & cinnamon have always been one of my favourite flavour combinations – and crepes are generally easier to stuff with apples than pancakes are, I decided to share this recipe with you, so you can get your Sunday #brunchgoals going as well!
Apple & Cinnamon Crepes Recipe (Vegan & Gluten Free)
(Makes 6-8 Crepes)
For the crepes
- 20g brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 80g fine oat flour
- 1 tsp milled flax seeds
- 100 ml almond milk
- 100 ml lukewarm, filtered water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Coconut oil for the pan
For the filling
- 2 medium apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- A handful of toasted pecans
- ½ cup coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Strawberries for decoration
- Start by sifting your oat flour – it’s important that it’s fine, with no big chunks, so that your batter mixes smoothly.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, baking soda, oat flour and flax seeds.
- In a separate bowl combine all your wet ingredients: almond milk, water, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime heat a large pan over medium heat and add a little coconut oil to the pan. Ensure that the pan is well coated in the oil – I usually use a paper towel to coat the pan in the liquid oil, of course make sure the pan is not too hot yet.
- When your pan is hot, use a ladle to transfer a ¾ loading of the batter into the pan. Pour out the batter in the centre of the pan and let the batter naturally distribute. Wiggle the pan once to get rid of any air bubbles, then leave the crepes alone to firm up. Ideally leave the pan between low and medium heat – if the pan is too hot, your crepes will become crispy (If that’s what you’re after, go ahead and give it some heat of course).
- Flip the crepes once the top of it is firming up, the crepes should not have any liquid batter anymore before you gently flip it.
- When both sides of your crepes are golden brown, it’s ready to leave the pan. Make sure to stay by the pan at all times to not burn your crepes.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up. To keep the crepes warm, you can add them to an oven-proof plate and set them in your oven at around 50 C.
- Whilst you’re making the crepes, start on the filling by washing & peeling your apples, then cutting them into thin slices. Place them in a pre-heated medium size pan together with a little coconut oil and sprinkle the cinnamon on top. Gently cook the apples on medium heat until they become soft, then drizzle in half of the maple syrup.
- In a separate pan toast the pecans, if they’re not toasted yet, then set aside.
- Assemble your crepes by adding 1-2 tbsp of the apple mixture to each crepes, then adding a dollop of coconut yogurt and close the crepes. Finish off by drizzling the remaining maple syrup on top & sprinkling the toasted pecans. Decorate with fresh strawberries (optional) and you’re ready to go!
- Enjoy & share with your favourite people!
Thank you so much to Romy for sharing her delicious recipe on my blog today! Make sure to check out her blog here.
I’d love to see if you make these so be sure to tag me on Instagram @elibrechernutrition !
For more breakfast inspo, check out the recipes below:
- Salted Almond Butter and Coconut Granola
- Chocolate Chip Quinoa Granola
- Cinnamon Chia Oatmeal
- Matcha Overnight Oats
- Creamy Coconut Porridge with Berry Compote
- Nutella Porridge
- Quinoa Porridge
- Turmeric and Goji Porridge
- Pecan Pie Granola
- Nutty Cinnamon Granola
- Banana Nut Crunch Granola
- Superfood Goji Granola
- Smashed Avocado Toast
- Vegan Strawberries & Cream Smoothie
- Vanilla Mocha Milkshake
- Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Zesty Passion Fruit Smoothie Jar
- Chocolate Hazelnut Pancake Stack
- Popcorn Chocolate Almond Butter Pancakes
- Vegan Coconut Banana Pancakes
- Basic Healthy Pancakes
- 2-minute Pecan Milk