Is it just me or has 2017 just sped by?! I can’t believe it’s December already, which means Christmas is just around the corner! Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hannukah or just need a chocolatey pick-me-up to get you through the cold and dark winter, these Reese’s-inspired Nut Butter Cups are perfect for the festive season. For a delicious twist on these, be sure to check out my Chocolate Peanut Butter Jelly Cups!
These are stuffed with a sweet green filling which owes its colour to the superfood powder moringa – one of the most nutrient-dense plants in the world. Moringa is:
- high in protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids
- rich in vitamins including Vitamin C for immunity and Vitamin A for eye health
- good source of minerals including iron (fights tiredness) and calcium (strong bones)
- high in fibre which aids digestion
- packed with antioxidants
The moringa is mixed with two natural sweeteners (honey and maple), a small pinch of sea salt and creamy cashew butter to form a caramel-like filling for the chocolate shell. I personally love using my Homemade Raw Chocolate, but any good quality dark chocolate works perfectly well. Decorate with a couple of goji berries on top to enhance the red/green Xmas colour scheme, and to add an extra superfood boost!
- 80g Homemade Chocolate (or any dark chocolate)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cashew butter
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon moringa powder
- Handful of goji berries for decoration (optional)
- Line a mini muffin tin with small cupcake liners
- Melt the chocolate over a low heat in a saucepan and pour about 1 tablespoon into the bottom of each cupcake liner, to thinly cover the bottom. Tilt so the chocolate goes up the sides slightly. Make sure you only use half the chocolate mixture for this step. Place these in the freezer for about 10 minutes to set
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Add the cashew butter, maple syrup, honey, sea salt and moringa powder to a small bowl and whisk well until fully combined
- Remove from the freezer and place about 1 teaspoon of the nut butter filling over the chocolate in each liner
- Pour enough of the chocolate mixture over the filling to cover it completely. Sprinkle with a couple of goji berries
- Return to the freezer for at least 15 minutes until completely hardened (about 30 minutes)
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or freezer for much longer.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @cerealandpeanutbutter so I can see your creations!