These Carrot Chickpea Patties make an easy and delicious lunchbox treat, alongside some quinoa or brown rice and leftover veggies. They can be batch-made ahead of time and kept in the freezer, so are really convenient when you’re short of time.
They’d also make a fantastic canapé to serve at a party – just roll them into mini patties and top with a dollop of Hummus or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. Simply double or triple the recipe to accommodate all your dinner guests!
I got really into making my own veggie burgers after I experimented with these Edamame Mushroom Burgers which turned out to be so tasty! Although there are lots of vegetarian/vegan options available in the supermarket, they tend to be loaded with unnecessary additives and high amounts of sugar and salt, which is why I much prefer to make my own.
Like all my recipes, these are dairy-free, refined sugar-free and gluten-free (provided you use GF oats). They are also suitable for vegans if you use maple syrup instead of honey! If you have a nut allergy, just swap the almond butter for tahini (sesame seed paste) or your seed-butter of choice.
Vegan Carrot Chickpea Patties
Makes 6 medium patties or 12 mini patties
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g tinned chickpeas (half a regular size tin)
- 4 tbsp oats
- 3 tbsp smooth almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1 tbsp za’atar herbs (try my homemade za’atar recipe)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp oil of choice (+ extra 1 and 1/2 tbsp oil for frying)
- 2 tsp honey/maple syrup
- Rinse the chickpeas under the tap, add them to a strong food processor with the carrots and pulse together for 10 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides, add all remaining ingredients to the food processor and pulse until fully combined.
- Use your hands to roll into 6 medium-sized patties or 12 mini patties.
- Heat 1 and 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry on a medium heat for 4 minutes on each side. Serve immediately, or allow to cool then place in tupperware in the fridge for tomorrow’s lunch!
I’d love to know if you try this recipe! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @cerealandpeanutbutter if you make it!
For more packed lunch recipes, try these:
- Edamame Mushroom Burgers
- Peanut Tofu Stir-Fry
- Classic Hummus
- Red Pepper Hummus
- Baba Ganoush (smoky aubergine dip)
- 3-Step Chickpea Patties
- Vegan Nut Roast
- No-Bake Granola Bars
- Super Seed Energy Bars
- Quinoa, Almond & Pumpkin Seed Brittle