These Carrot Chickpea Patties make an easy and delicious lunchbox treat, alongside some quinoa or brown rice and leftover veggies. They can be batch-made ahead of time and kept in the freezer, so are really convenient when you’re short of time.
They’d also make a fantastic canapé to serve at a party – just roll them into mini patties and top with a dollop of Hummus or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. Simply double or triple the recipe to accommodate all your dinner guests!
I got really into making my own veggie burgers after I experimented with these Edamame Mushroom Burgers which turned out to be so tasty! Although there are lots of vegetarian/vegan options available in the supermarket, they tend to be loaded with unnecessary additives and high amounts of sugar and salt, which is why I much prefer to make my own.
Like all my recipes, these are dairy-free, refined sugar-free and gluten-free (provided you use GF oats). They are also suitable for vegans if you use maple syrup instead of honey! If you have a nut allergy, just swap the almond butter for tahini (sesame seed paste) or your seed-butter of choice.
Vegan Carrot Chickpea Patties
Makes 6 medium patties or 12 mini patties
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g tinned chickpeas (half a regular size tin)
- 4 tbsp oats
- 3 tbsp smooth almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1 tbsp za’atar herbs (try my homemade za’atar recipe)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp oil of choice (+ extra 1 and 1/2 tbsp oil for frying)
- 2 tsp honey/maple syrup
- Rinse the chickpeas under the tap, add them to a strong food processor with the carrots and pulse together for 10 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides, add all remaining ingredients to the food processor and pulse until fully combined.
- Use your hands to roll into 6 medium-sized patties or 12 mini patties.
- Heat 1 and 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry on a medium heat for 4 minutes on each side. Serve immediately, or allow to cool then place in tupperware in the fridge for tomorrow’s lunch!
If you give this recipe a try, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @brechernutrition – I LOVE seeing all your recreations!
For more packed lunch recipes, try these:
- Edamame Mushroom Burgers
- Peanut Tofu Stir-Fry
- Classic Hummus
- Red Pepper Hummus
- Baba Ganoush (smoky aubergine dip)
- 3-Step Chickpea Patties
- Vegan Nut Roast
- No-Bake Granola Bars
- Super Seed Energy Bars
- Quinoa, Almond & Pumpkin Seed Brittle