This is seriously one of the best recipes I’ve ever made. I’ve said that before, but this time, just take my word for it. My dad has been obsessed with Banana Nut Crunch (a sugar-loaded but admittedly delicious cereal) for as long as I can remember. I set out to create a healthier alternative and this masterpiece was the result. It’s 100% free from added sugars (not even maple syrup or date nectar), and is instead sweetened with just two ripe bananas – and by the way, the whole family went BANANAS for this!
From a nutritional standpoint, it provides a source of both soluble and insoluble fibre from the jumbo oats, and a boost of protein and healthy fats from all the nuts and seeds. What’s more, the cinnamon has been proven to keep blood sugar levels stable, and if you add a handful of berries, you’ve got an entirely balanced meal.
This breakfast treat takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish, and the best part about this recipe is that it will make your whole home smell like Banana Bread!
I could literally snack on this all day long. My favourite ways to enjoy it include on its own with a splash of my 2-minute Pecan Milk, sprinkled generously over an Açaí Bowl, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake or a Post-Workout Chocolate Shake, or as a topping on my Healthy Chocolate Mousse.
2 cups jumbo oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup chopped brazil nuts
2 tablespoons flaked almonds
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
2 over-ripe bananas, mashed (wait until they turn dark brown with black spots)
Optional: 1/4 cup dried banana slices, 1/4 cup raisins
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Combine coconut oil, mashed banana, cinnamon and ginger in a bowl and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all remaining ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the mixture onto a lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, turn it over and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then add in the dried banana and raisins if using.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.