This comforting loaf of banana bread tastes absolutely heavenly straight-from-the-oven, and equally delicious as breakfast over the next few days! It’s perfectly moist and naturally sweet thanks to the over-ripe bananas, with undertones of cinnamon and caramel notes from the maple syrup.
I love spreading it with a thick slab of peanut butter and Raspberry Chia Jam, or munching it alongside a Cinnamon Matcha Latte as an afternoon pick-me-up. Like all my recipes, it is free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar (with an easily adaptable vegan option) but tastes so incredibly decadent you’d never guess it’s made only the most wholesome ingredients – what’s not to love?
If you like this banana bread, you will LOVE my Banana Bread Pecan Muffins and my Banana Nut Crunch Granola!
- 3 over-ripe bananas + 1 for decoration
- 2 tbsp tahini (or any nut butter e.g. peanut butter / almond butter)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice mixed with 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 cups gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (can switch for date syrup/honey/agave)
- 1 egg (or flax egg for vegan option)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (can switch for raisins, blueberries, mixed seeds, walnuts…)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar in a mug and leave to sit for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash the bananas in a large bowl.
- Add all wet ingredients to the banana (maple, tahini, vanilla, egg and milk-vinegar mixture). Whisk very well.
- Stir in the remaining dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt) and mix until fully combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, decorate with banana (sliced lengthways) and allow it to bake for 40-45 mins, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to fully cool (at least 40 minutes) before removing from the tin, slicing and serving!
I’d love to know what your favourite banana bread add-ins are? Do you like yours loaded with blueberries, crunchy peanut butter, dark chocolate chips, flaked almonds and pumpkin seeds? Or do you prefer this simple, classic loaf just the way it is? Let me know on Instagram @elibrechernutrition if you give this a try – I would love to see!