This comforting loaf of banana bread tastes absolutely heavenly straight-from-the-oven, and equally delicious as breakfast over the next few days! It’s perfectly moist and naturally sweet thanks to the over-ripe bananas, with undertones of caramel from the date nectar and maple syrup, and a slight spice from the cinnamon.
I love spreading it with a thick slab of peanut butter and Raspberry Chia Jam, or munching it alongside a Cinnamon Matcha Latte as an afternoon pick-me-up. Like all my recipes, it is free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar (with an easily adaptable vegan option) but tastes so incredibly decadent you’d never guess it’s made only the most wholesome ingredients – what’s not to love?
If you like this banana bread, you will LOVE my Banana Bread Pecan Muffins and my Banana Nut Crunch Granola!
- 3 over-ripe bananas + 1 for decoration
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1.5 cups gluten-free flour (I use a mix of buckwheat, rice & corn flour)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp date nectar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil + extra for greasing
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup raisins/sultanas – can be substituted with chocolate chips, blueberries, mixed seeds, walnuts…
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170C and grease a loaf tin with coconut oil.
2. Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk.
3. Add the maple syrup, date syrup, coconut oil and vanilla to the whisked eggs, then mash the bananas with a fork and add them to the bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, ground almonds, salt, cinnamon and baking powder.
5. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir well.
6. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, decorate with banana (sliced lengthways) and allow it to bake for 55-60 mins.
7. Allow the bread to fully cool (45 minutes) before removing from the tin.
8. Serve with a thick slab of peanut butter, Raspberry Chia Jam and a drizzle of honey.
I’d love to know what your favourite banana bread add-ins are? Do you like yours loaded with blueberries, crunchy peanut butter, dark chocolate chips, flaked almonds and pumpkin seeds? Or do you prefer this simple, classic loaf just the way it is? Let me know on Instagram: @cerealandpeanutbutter