I get asked a lot how I make my my chocolate mousse smoothie bowl! It’s become a total staple in my diet and let’s be honest, who can resist dessert for breakfast when it’s this delicious AND good for you?!
The consistency is silky smooth thanks to the not-so-secret ingredient and it’s an all-round crowd pleaser!
But before I let you in on my secret ingredient, let me promise you that you will NOT taste it in your chocolate mousse.
Please welcome to the stage one of my favourite foods ever – you guessed it: AVOCADO!
Avocado has been sneaking its way into healthier desserts over the last few years and with good reason – they’re packed with essential heart-healthy fats (great for glowing skin, hair and nails), contain more potassium than bananas, and are loaded with fibre and a huge range of vitamins. Health benefits aside, they provide a rich creamy texture unrivalled by any traditional chocolate mousse ingredients – healthy or not.
Top tip: make sure you wait long enough for your avocado to be very ripe and soft so it blends easily into the mousse and goes totally undetected.
Chocolate Mousse Smoothie Bowl (Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free)
- 1/2 very ripe avocado (flesh)
- 1 banana
- 1 medjool date
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1 heaped tbsp nut butter (I used hazelnut)
- 1/3 cup milk of choice (I used hazelnut milk)
- Toppings of choice: cacao nibs, goji berries, walnuts, peanut butter and Eli’s Granola
1. Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until completely smooth.
2. Transfer to a bowl and serve and add your toppings, or chill in the fridge for 10 mins for a thicker consistency.
If you give this recipe a try, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @elibrechernutrition – I LOVE seeing all your recreations!