Turmeric is popping up all over our Instagram feeds in
Golden Lattes, Sunshine Smoothies and Indian Dahls. As well as giving curries that gorgeous yellow/orange hue, turmeric is one of the most potent spices in the world at fighting disease and potentially reversing it altogether. This medicinal herb has so many healing properties thanks to its active ingredient, curcumin.
Here are the top 5 health benefits of turmeric, plus 2 ways for your body to absorb the maximum amount possible.
1. Anti-inflammatory – the active ingredient, curcumin, helps to inhibit inflammation-causing molecules in the body.
2. Antioxidant – neutralises free radicals and increases the body’s antioxidant capacities.
3. Anti-cancer – studies have proven that curcumin can inhibit the growth of cancerous cells on a molecular level.
4. Fights depression – scientific evidence has shown that turmeric can boost levels of serotonin and dopamine in the brain, acting as an antidepressant.
5. Disease prevention – proven to help prevent multiple diseases including Alzheimer’s and Arthritis, and lowers the risk of heart disease by 65% when taken daily! Curcumin is particularly beneficial in auto-immune conditions.
6. Curcumin is a fat-soluble substance so consume it with a meal that contains healthy fats (avocado, nuts, eggs).
7. Consuming turmeric with black pepper (bioperine) increases its bioavailability (absorption in the body) by 2000%. That’s right – two thousand per cent!!
So what are you waiting for? Go on and sprinkle some turmeric all over your life! Add it to smoothies, soups, curries, stews… just be careful not to stain your clothes with it – I learnt the hard way!