As well as giving curries that gorgeous yellow/orange hue, turmeric is one of the most potent spices in the world at fighting disease and potentially reversing it altogether. This medicinal herb has so many healing properties thanks to its active ingredient, curcumin.
Here are the top 5 health benefits of turmeric, plus 2 ways for your body to absorb the maximum amount possible.
1. Anti-inflammatory – the active ingredient, curcumin, helps to inhibit inflammation-causing molecules in the body.
2. Antioxidant – neutralizes free radicals and increases the body’s antioxidant capacities.
3. Anti-cancer – studies have proven that curcumin can inhibit the growth of cancerous cells on a molecular level.
4. Fights depression – scientific evidence has shown that turmeric can boost levels of serotonin and dopamine in the brain, acting as an antidepressant.
5. Proven to help prevent multiple diseases including Alzheimer’s and Arthritis, and lowers the risk of heart disease by 65% when taken daily!
6. Curcumin is a fat-soluble substance so consume it with a meal that contains healthy fats (avocado, nuts, eggs).
7. Consuming turmeric with black pepper (bioperine) increase its absorbtion in the body by 2000%. That’s right – two thousand per cent!!
So what are you waiting for? Go on and sprinkle some turmuric all over your life! Add it to smoothies, soups, curries, stews… just be careful not to stain your clothes with it – I learnt the hard way!