I get asked a lot how I make my my chocolate mousse! It’s become a total staple in my diet and let’s be honest, who can resist dessert for breakfast when it’s this delicious AND good for you?!
This homemade healthy chocolate mousse is silky smooth, chocolatey and an all-round crowd pleaser! It looks and tastes so much like a standard chocolate mousse that if you didn’t know any better, you’d never guess there was a hidden ingredient…
But before I let you in on my secret ingredient, let me promise you that you will NOT taste it in your chocolate mousse.
Please welcome to the stage one of my favourite foods ever – you guessed it: AVOCADO!
Avocado has been sneaking its way into healthier desserts over the last few years and with good reason – they’re packed with essential heart-healthy fats (great for glowing skin, hair and nails), contain more potassium than bananas, and are loaded with fibre and a huge range of vitamins. Health benefits aside, they provide a rich creamy texture unrivalled by any traditional chocolate mousse ingredients – healthy or not.
Top tip: make sure you wait long enough for your avocado to be very ripe and soft so it blends easily into the mousse and goes totally undetected.
This tastes amazing with my 3-Ingredient Homemade Chocolate broken into chunks on top, alongside a handful of fresh berries, a spoonful of Raspberry Chia Jam and a sprinkle of my Nutty Cinnamon Granola for an added crunch.
- 1 very ripe avocado (flesh)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey (can replace with maple syrup)
- 1/3 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Toppings of choice: cacao nibs, blueberries, my 3-ingredient Raw Chocolate Bark, Raspberry Chia Jam, dried mulberries, peanut butter and Eli’s Granola
1. Place all ingredients into a blender and blend just until a smooth thick consistency is reached.
2. Transfer to two small bowls and chill until ready to serve. Cover with your favourite toppings!
If you give this recipe a try, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @elibrechernutrition – I LOVE seeing all your recreations!